5/4/09

List : Worst - Rappers Turned Actors


50 Cent
Real Name: Curtis James Jackson
How this guy gets to star opposite Al Pacino and Robert Deniro in Righteous Kill is beyond me. Did they not see Get Rich or Die Tryin' or Home of the Brave? He easily tops the pile and is one I would love to see stay out of theater.

DMX
Real Name: Earl Simmons
Despite trying to cement himself as action-movie sidekick (e.g. Never Die Alone, Cradle 2 the Grave), DMX just doesn't have it. True, his voice (like Xzibit) does him well as an imposing figure, but that only goes so far.

Xzibit
Real Name: Alvin Nathaniel Joiner
Though his gravely voice lends him to be an intimidating henchman, I have yet to see what else might be appealing with the recognized host of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." Maybe his participation in the X-Files sheds a bit more light on this guy.

Andre 3000
Real Name: Andre Benjamin
Though I hate to put him on this list, Andre 3000 really hasn't come through for me. His role in Four Brothers was flat and Idlewild was more of an Outkast vehicle than anything else. Admittedly, I didn't see Semi-Pro, but I lost interest in him after Revolver.

Ice-T
Real Name: Tracy Marrow
I totally respect the guy for his early work and groundbreaking music career, but I'm glad he's now just a regular on "Law and Order: SVU" and not much else. You can only take him in limited doses.

Ice Cube
Real Name: O'Shea Jackson
Much like Ice-T, Ice Cube has been around for a while and certainly has some cred. However, his latest projects have sucked big time (e.g. Are We There Yet?).It's true that he made many movies,and in someone he acted well , but c'mon.Trying to recover the shyne of Friday,Next Friday and Friday After Next , he got out First Sunday.What a cliché.

Snoop Dogg
Real Name: Cordozar Calvin Broadus
I have to admit, I did love Snoop Dogg's character Huggy Bear in the 2004 remake of Starsky & Hutch. However, the smoked out pimp shtick is a bit old, especially in movies like Soul Plane and Hood of Horror.

Method Man
Real Name: Clifford Smith
Similar to Ice-T, Method Man is much more interesting when he has a cameo on "Law and Order" or as the Baltimore drug dealer, Cheese, on the "The Wire." And while I haven't seen it yet, I suspect his involvement in The Wackness is brief and forgettable.P.S. : How High was awesome !

The Game
Real Name: Jayceon Terrell Taylor
I think the only reason why The Game ever got an acting gig was because his face looks like the rough side of a rundown liquor store. That's not to say he doesn't make for a perfectly fine throwaway bad guy in Street Kings, but he's still pretty forgettable.

Big Boi
Real Name: Antwan André Patton
Thankfully, one half of the popular outfit Outkast, Big Boi hasn't managed to carve out an acting footprint just yet. His biggest role was alongside his fellow band mate Andre 3000 in Idlewild back in 2006. There hasn't been much since. Let's keep it that way.

2 comments:

  1. BlackSnow : You're right.I wrote about Method Man And I forgot Redman.I think something's wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete